The world is an amazing place. Just when it seems that you’ve seen everything, it surprises you with something new. Even ordinary things sometimes turn our worlds upside down when we see them from an unusual angle. For example, it turns out that 1/10 of the world’s gold reserves belongs to Indian housewives, and there are people from a village that have a sleeping sickness causing them to fall asleep for an entire week! How can we get that disease?
We’ve collected several incredible facts about our world. They’re so unusual that you might want to share them with your friends and family.
- Steven Spielberg wanted to direct a James Bond movie but he was rejected. Then he shared his problem with his friend George Lucas who said that he had an idea of how to make a James Bond movie but better. This is how Indiana Jones was created.
- Baby elephants use their trunks just like human babies suck a pacifier.
- 1/10 of the world’s gold reserves belongs to Indian housewives. This is more than the U.S., Switzerland, and Germany have combined.
- In 1982, a man managed to sneak into Buckingham Palace. He ate cheddar for 30 minutes and walked around the place. After sitting on the throne and drinking half a bottle of wine, he left.
- During the prohibition in the U.S., vineyard owners produced solid concentrated grape juice that was called “grape bricks”. In order not to go to jail, they had to make sure that grapes weren’t used to make wine. That’s why the bricks were sold with a notice on them that said after the brick was dissolved in water, the solution shouldn’t be kept in a dark cool place for 21 days. A perfect marketing ploy, isn’t it?