Note: Phthalates in hairsprays can increase the risk of breast cancer.
Fortunately, there are some simple DIY natural hairsprays that will make you free from phthalate. As we know that, the main function of hairspray is to hold our hair. Other benefits are also available. If you want to know what things to do to make DIY hairsprays, we have the list here. Enjoy!
1. DIY Sea Salt Spray for the Summer Beach Party
Try this hairspray to complete your summer fashion. This sea salt spray helps to add volume to your hair due to the Epsom salt and sea salt, which creates texture, while the aloe vera and coconut oil act as moisturizers. Coconut oil is widely known for its superior moisturizing effects and if you are worried about the smell of coconut oil lingering in your hair, use pure virgin coconut oil instead of refined coconut oil, as the former does not have the strong aroma that most refined coconut oil has.
1 cup warm water
1 Tbsp sea salt
1 tsp Epsom salt
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp aloe vera gel
5 drops essential oil, optional
- Heat water on medium heat but not to boiling
- Add sea salt and Epsom salt until dissolved
- Add coconut oil and stir until completely melted
- Add aloe vera gel
- Add essential oils if you prefer and stir well
- Pour in a spray bottle for convenient use
2. Rosemary Coconut Hairspray
If you have the problems with your hairs like dry or damaged hair, this is what you need. This homemade rosemary coconut hairspray will moisturize your hair while keeping your hair in place.
2 Tbsp coconut oil
3-4 drops rosemary essential oil
2 cups distilled water
- Melt the coconut oil
- Add the distilled water and the essential oil
- Mix and add into your spray bottle
3. Marshmallow Root Detangler
Marshmallow root has been used for centuries to deal with irritations internally and externally. If you regularly find yourself dealing with tangled hair, why not try this everyday use hairspray?
1.5 cups distilled water
3 Tbsp marshmallow root
2 Tbsp conditioner of choice (use organic)
10+ drops essential oil of choice
- Boil water and marshmallow root in a small pan
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes
- Let cool slightly and then strain using a cheesecloth or strainer
- While still warm, pour into a bottle with conditioner and essential oils
4. Strong Hold Homemade Hairspray
This hairspray is so popular to hold hair in place. This is an inexpensive, super effective and healthy way to create a strong hairspray. Sugar is also the main ingredient to create a strong hold with no sticky residue to deal with. If you have a question whether the sugar can attract insects or not, the lavender or the rosemary oil can prevent this one.
1 cup filtered water
4 teaspoons sugar (depending on how strong you want it to be)
2 drops geranium*
2 drops lavender*
2 drops peppermint*
2 drops rosemary*
*Essential oils are optional but recommended to add.
- Heat the water in a small saucepan to boiling
- Add the sugar and stir to dissolve
- Let cool and then add the essential oils
- Pour into your spray bottle
- Use quickly and store in the fridge for a long lasting spray.
Note: Do not keep long outside as there will be bacteria growth.
5. Smooth and Shine Hairspray
Try this hairspray and you will never regret. The addition of aloe vera and glycerin will make your hair healthy and shiny.
1 cup water
2 Tbsp aloe vera juice
2 Tbsp rose water
2 Tbsp vegetable glycerin
- Combine all the ingredients together
- Pour into your spray bottle and shake well to incorporate