A southern-style casserole that is a dessert-like side dish. It is made of cooked and mashed sweet potatoes combined with sugar, butter, vanilla, milk and eggs. The sweet potato mixture is then topped with a buttery pecan streusel topping and baked until golden brown.
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Sweet Potato Casserole graces my family table every fall. With it’s rich, buttery taste and crunchy topping, sweet potato casserole makes for a perfect side dish, but is sweet enough to serve as a dessert.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
- 5 cups cooked sweet potatoes mashed (about 5-6 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
For the Streusel Topping:
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Scrub sweet potatoes and boil or bake in the oven until tender.
- Cool, peel and mash the sweet potatoes. Stir in granulated sugar, butter, vanilla, milk and eggs, mix well. Pour mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish or individual dishes for serving.
For the topping:
- Mix brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter together and spread evenly over sweet potato mixture.
- Cook for 30 minutes until topping has browned. If using mini marshmallows, add them the final 10 minutes of baking. Remove from oven and serve.
Prepare sweet potato mixture and spread into casserole dish. Wrap tightly and store in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. Prepare streusel topping and store in a zip top bag in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, remove all from the refrigerator. Spread streusel on top of casserole and bake as directed.
Freezer Friendly Tips:
Prepare sweet potato mixture and spread into casserole dish. Cool completely, wrap tightly and store in the freezer up to 3 months.
When ready to bake, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Make streusel topping mixture and place on top of casserole and bake as directed.
Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 152mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 38g | Vitamin A: 8275IU | Vitamin C: 1.4mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 1.1mg