Maybe you do not have a Panera nearby, and your craving a yummy bowl of soup. Good news, you can make this Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup in the comfort of your own home! So quick to make and full of creamy cheesy goodness. Plus, this Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup is so warm and comforting for the whole family, you may be asked to make it over and over again!
What can you serve with this Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
- We had these amazing garlic knots,
- Also would be good with a leftover Turkey sandwich
- If you still need more cheese, a grilled ham and cheese sandwich sounds good too.
- This soup goes perfectly in a bread bowl.
- For a lighter version, you can use fat free half & half.
- If you prefer it smooth simply toss it in the blender or use an immersion blender.
- You could also add more toppings like sour cream, green onions, or chives. Red pepper flakes are good too, if you like it spicy.
How To Make This Soup
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
- 1 small onion, (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups broccoli florets (I used fresh broccoli)
- 2 carrots (julienne cut – matchstick size)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half (or 1 cup heavy cream 1 cup milk)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups yellow cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces) (reserve some garnish)
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes, adding garlic at the end, so it doesn’t burn. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter when melted, whisk in the flour and cook continuously stirring until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth, add broccoli and carrots and let simmer about 20 minutes till tender. Discard the bay leaf. Add half-and-half while stirring when that’s warm, add in about 2 cups of cheddar cheese stirring occasionally let simmer a few minutes for cheese to melt. Garnish with reserved cheese.