This strawberry mug cake is a great example of a delicious, super easy recipe! It’s sure to satisfy your craving for a little something sweet.
I love the way the strawberries help to sweeten the cake. It’s not overly sweet, just the right amount. And the cake texture is soft and satisfying, just what I want from a dessert.
If you’re looking for a little indulgence without a lot of steps, or if you want to make a small dessert for a special occasion, this recipe is for you!
How to make a strawberry mug cake
The beauty of minute muffins is how simple they are to make. And this strawberry recipe is no different!
Prepping strawberry puree
- In a small food processor or blender, add strawberries, melted coconut oil, stevia, and monk fruit.
- Puree until everything is completely combined and liquified.
Making the cake
- In a small ramekin or mug, combine strawberry puree with an egg.
- Mix in coconut flour, almond flour, and baking powder until smooth.
- Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes. It’s best to err on the side of slightly undercooked as it will continue to cook in the dish a bit after you take it out.
- If you plan to frost your mini cake, carefully remove it to a cooling rack. Allow it to completely cool before frosting.
Toppings for a plain paleo mug cake
This cake is really delicious all on it’s own. If you just want a simple dessert, I recommend enjoying it as is!
But if you’re looking for a little something extra, you could top your minute muffin with:
- Fresh berries
- Homemade whipped cream (use coconut cream for paleo)
- Sugar-free chocolate chips
Adding color to your paleo strawberry cake
I was a bit surprised when I first made this recipe that the strawberries didn’t add more color.
I was hoping to get a nice pink color. Instead, this cake turns out more of a dull pink. It even fades a little purple as it cools.
I don’t really mind the color because the cake itself is delicious. But if you want your cake to turn out a bit more vibrant, you could try adding:
- McCormick natural red food coloring
- Beet juice (great for adding color, but make sure to account for additional carbs)
- Hibiscus tea
Do you like to add color to dishes like this? Or do you prefer to keep it simple and just enjoy your dessert?
Strawberry Coconut Flour Mug Cake
Baking a low carb can be quick and easy. Try this strawberry coconut flour mug cake that bakes in only a couple minutes using the microwave.
Prep Time 2 minutes
Cook Time 2 minutes
Total Time 4 minutes
Servings 2 people
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup strawberries sliced
- 10 drops SweetLeaf stevia drops
- 10 drops monk fruit liquid extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- buttercream frosting optional
- strawberries optional
- whipped cream optional
US Customary – Metric
- Microwave coconut oil in small 2 cup microwaveable ramekin or Pyrex dish just until slightly melted.
- Place strawberries in small food processor or blender. Add in coconut oil, stevia, and monk fruit. Puree until completely combined and liquified.
- Pour mixture into same 2 cup dish or large mug. Stir in egg with a fork.
- Add in the coconut flour and baking powder. Stir with fork until smooth.
- Microwave for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Carefully remove to cooling rack.
- Enjoy right from the container or remove and cool completely on a rack. Frost with buttercream, or top with strawberry slices and whipped cream.