We have an awesome technique that shows you how to make Instant Pot Bone Broth that’s Keto Friendly! Once the fat cap is broken, the broth needs to be used within 3 to 4 days.
The Process to Make Instant Pot Bone Broth
So, I grab a couple of pounds worth of saved “poultry parts” from the freezer and dump them into my Instant Pot.
I add (for flavor) a couple medium carrots, one yellow onion (cut in half), a big handful of fresh parsley, and 4-5 celery stalks (the leafy inner part of the bunch is good for this) along with a big splash of ACV (the kind “with the mother”) – maybe 1/4 cup? (I don’t measure), a tsp of black pepper, a pinch of cayenne red pepper (for the anti-oxidants), a pinch of sage, a pinch of thyme, and at least 1-2 Tbsp of Redmond’s Real Salt or pink Himalayan salt
OPTIONAL: you can use 1/2 a fresh lemon for the acid if you don’t have any ACV, but it will add a tangy flavor.
I also add a big hunk of Kerrygold butter (about 1 stick) and then I fill to the MAX FILL line with hot water.
Set your Instant Pot to the soup/broth setting for at least 120 minutes (today I went 130) and then let it vent naturally.
Once cool enough to handle I strain out all the (now really soft!) bones and veg and ladle the broth through a strainer into my Mason jars.
Important Step: If you want to freeze your jars, you must use the wide-mouth variety and leave at least 2″ for expansion/contraction at the top of the jar.
Now, I don’t freeze mine, and this is why I add the extra dab of butter to my recipe. I have read that if you have a good, solid fat cap on the top of your broth it will seal out the air and bacteria and you can store for up to several months in the fridge.
Once you break the fat cap, you need to use the remainder within 3-4 days to avoid spoilage. I have never had an issue with storage this way, but I usually have a cup of broth every day, so most batches I make are used up within 3 weeks.
Instant Pot Bone Broth Recipe
Once the fat cap is broken, the broth needs to be used within 3 to 4 days.
- 2 to 3 pounds of leftover bones
- 2 medium carrots you can omit if you are strict keto
- 1 medium onion cut in half
- a bunch of fresh parsley about 12 stems
- 4 to 5 celery stalks
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother
- 1 tsp black pepper
- pinch of cayenne red pepper probably 1/8 teaspoon or so
- pinch of sage
- pinch of thyme
- 2 teaspoons Redmond’s Real Salt or Pink Salt
- *Optional: 1 stick Kerrygold Butter
- Instant Pot Bone Broth Recipe Instructions
- Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Fill the Instant Pot to the Max fill water line with hot water.
- Set the Instant Pot to the soup setting for 120 minutes.
- When it’s done, allow it to vent naturally.
- Once it’s cooled enough to handle, strain out all the really soft bones and vegetables through a strainer and store the liquid contents into Mason Jars.
- If you’ve added the butter to the recipe it will create a nice fat layer on top of each Mason jar that helps preserve the broth. Once the fat cap is broken, the broth needs to be used within 3 to 4 days.