What’s the key to the best almond cake recipe? Plenty of fat (we use butter and sour cream!) and the method (creaming the butter with sweetener creates air!).
Here’s how to make this French almond cake recipe:
- Toast the almonds. Arrange the sliced almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast until golden.
TIP: The difference between golden to burnt is just a minute or two, so watch them closely!
- Cream the butter and sweetener. You want the butter to turn light and fluffy, but not beat so much that it starts to melt.
- Beat in almond flour, baking powder, and sea salt. It will be crumbly at this point, kind of like cookie dough.
- Add wet ingredients. Beat in eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and almond extracts.
TIP: The batter will be a little thick, which is normal! It shouldn’t be stiff, but not totally pourable, either.
- Bake sweet almond cake. Transfer to a springform pan. Bake until top is golden and it springs back, and a toothpick comes out clean.
TIP: We use a springform pan for easy removal, but you can use a regular cake pan if that’s all you have. You’ll need it to cool a good amount before removing it.
- Make glaze. Whisk together melted butter, powdered erythritol, almond extract, and vanilla until smooth.
- Release toasted almond cake from the springform pan. Or if you are using a regular cake pan, you’ll need to carefully flip twice to get it out of the pan and right side up.
TIP: Run a knife along the edges first before releasing, or it might crumble!
- Glaze the French almond cake. Place the cake onto a wire rack and while the cake is still warm, use a pastry brush to brush the glaze over the top and sides of the cake. Reserve 1 tbsp of glaze.
- Finish cake with almonds. Sprinkle the toasted almonds over the cake and pat into glaze. Drizzle with remaining glaze to help seal them onto the cake.
- Let the toasted almond cake recipe cool completely, then slice and serve. It can be fragile before cooling… and it’s worth the wait!
Keto French Almond Cake Recipe
See how to make keto almond flour cake with 4g net carbs! This easy toasted almond cake recipe is delicious and tastes like a real French almond cake.
- Calories 339 kcal
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Cook Time 35 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Servings 12 servings
- US Customary – Metric
- 3 1/2 cups Blanched almond flour
- 1/2 tbsp Gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1/3 cup Butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup Besti Monk Fruit Erythritol Blend
- 4 large Eggs
- 3/4 cup Sour cream
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Almond extract
- 3 tbsp Butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Erythritol Blend (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1/4 tsp Almond extract
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Line the bottom of a springform pan or cake pan with parchment paper.
- Arrange almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast for 3-4 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Leave the oven on.
- Meanwhile, beat butter and sweetener together.
- Beat in almond flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Beat in eggs, sour cream, vanilla and almond extracts.
- Bake at 350 degrees (177 degrees C) for 28-32 minutes, until the top is golden and springs back, and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 10 minutes in the pan, until warm but no longer hot.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the glaze ingredients.
- Run a knife along the edges of the pan to release any parts that have stuck. If you used a springform pan, release and remove the sides (you can keep it sitting on the bottom part). If you used a cake pan, carefully flip over a towel, then flip again so that the cake is right side up.
- Place the cake onto a wire rack. While the cake is still warm, use a pastry brush to brush the glaze over the top and sides of the cake, reserving 1 tablespoon (14 ml) of glaze.
- Sprinkle toasted almonds over the cake and pat into the glaze. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of glaze on top of the almonds to help seal them.
- Let the cake cool completely. If desired, sprinkle with more powdered sweetener for serving.
Serving size: 1 slice, or 1/12 entire recipe