Every layer of this cake was amazing. From the moist cake layer, to the cream cheese layer, to the strawberry layer and then topped with the streusel on top! I mean how could you not fall in love with this cake!? I loved everything about it and it became an instant favorite. I will definitely be making it again!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter cold and cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 – 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cup fresh strawberries cut into pieces
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I used a 9 inch spring loader pan. Spray with cooking spray. An 8 inch pan will also work, the cake will just be thicker.
To make the jam:
- In a medium saucepan combine strawberry pieces and sugar. Cook on medium low until the strawberries release their juices. In a small bowl combine the water and cornstarch until it makes a slurry and add it to the strawberries. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes until it thickens. Remove from heat.
To make the cream cheese filling:
- Beat the cream cheese until it is smooth. Add the sugar, and egg until it is combined. Set aside.
To make the cake:
Combine the flour, and sugar together. Then add the small chunks of butter and cut it in using a pastry cutter or two forks until the mixture is coarse crumbs. Measure 3/4 cups of the mixture and set aside to use for the crumbs on the top. Add the baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the sour cream, egg and vanilla until it is well blended. Gently stir this into the flour mixture until incorporated. The dough will be lumpy and thick.
- Spread the batter into the bottom of your greased pan. You want to spread it so that the sides are a half an inch up. Pour the cream cheese in the center and spread until it is about 1 inch from the sides and be careful not to go past the boarder. Spread the strawberry jam on top of the cream cheese layer. Then sprinkle the 3/4 cup reserved crumbs on the very top.
- Bake for for 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 20 minutes before serving.