Traditional carnitas are cooked in oil or lard. I put a different spin on these by smoking the pork butt and then tossing it with a citrus and garlic sauce and crisping it up in the oven. You will love these bold flavors! Smoked Pork Carnitas are a delicious spin on traditional Mexican carnitas and make the most amazing tacos! Perfect for any night of the week or for an epic game day taco bar!
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME 25 minutes
TOTAL TIME 35 minutes
- For Smoked Pork Butt:
- 10-12 pound pork butt roast
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons Mrs Dash Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons coarse ground pepper
- For carnitas tacos:
- 2 pounds smoked (or cooked) pork butt
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- tortillas, chopped onion, cilantro and any other favorite toppings for serving
For Pork Butt:
Pat Pork Butt dry with paper towels.
Mix together kosher salt, black pepper and garlic.
Prepare grill with hickory grilling wood.
Place pork butt over indirect heat and close the grill.
Smoke for 1 hour per pound at about 250-300 degrees, until internal temperature reaches 195 degrees.
For smoked pork carnitas tacos:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Shred or chop two pounds of smoked pork butt and spread onto a baking sheet.
- Mix together orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin, and salt.
- Pour over pork and stir to coat.
- Cook for 25 minutes, stirring about half way through.
- Serve with tortillas, chopped onion, avocados, cilantro and any of your favorite taco toppings.