I love chocolate cake! I can never decline a slice of heavenly chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. But when I’m in need of a chocolate fix stat, I will rely on this trusty and easy one bowl chocolate cake recipe.
The cake is moist and super chocolaty, it will be your go-to recipe for years to come. One Bowl Chocolate Cake with a simple chocolate ganache topping is by far the easiest and tastiest chocolate cake you will ever need.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup coffee cooled
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Melted butter for pan
- 4 oz heavy whipping cream ½ cup
- 4 oz dark chocolate melting wafers or your preferred chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush an 8” round cake pan with melted butter and line the bottom of the pan with a round piece of parchment paper, brush the parchment paper with melted butter as well. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together coffee and buttermilk. Whisk in the vegetable oil, then egg and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder into the liquid mixture. Add salt and sugar and whisk until a smooth batter forms.
- Transfer the cake batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30 – 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean with just a few crumbs attached.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 – 15 minutes before inverting it over and set it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate ganache, microwave the cream in a heat proof vessel for 50 – 55 seconds, watching it during the last few seconds to ensure it doesn’t boil over.
- Add the chocolate in a small mixing bowl and pour the hot cream over it. Allow it to stand for a minute or two before whisking it until the chocolate melts completely and the mixture is smooth. Let the ganache cool completely and refrigerate for about 15 – 20 minutes until it thickens but still pourable.
- Put the cooled cake on a cake stand or plate and drizzle the ganache over the top of the cake, tap the cake stand or plate lightly on the table top to even out the top of the ganache. Serve right away or let the ganache thicken further in the fridge before serving.