That gooey “pudding” goodness isn’t from a pudding mix, but instead it’s a melted chocolatey fudge that comes from the way you make the cake.
It’s pretty much amazing. Throw some ice cream on top of the hot cake and you have a perfect dessert.
There are plenty of other delicious toppings you could include:
- Candy bars (Snickers, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kats, Milky Ways, Heath Bar, etc.)
- Oreo Cookies
- Andes Mints
- Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter Chips
- White Chocolate Chips
- Caramel Drizzle
- Chocolate Drizzle
- Hot Fudge
- Ice Cream (I love this with vanilla, but if you have a chocolate lover in your family, you could also use a chocolate ice cream. I do love a good Cookies n’ Cream Ice cream with this one).
- Fruit (fresh strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, bananas, etc.)
12 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
52 minTotal Time
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (divided)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (divided)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream – optional topping
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle hot fudge sauce – optional topping
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together 3/4 cup sugar, flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the milk, butter, and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 9 x 9 inch square baking pan.
- Stir together remaining 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa; sprinkle mixture evenly over batter.
- Pour hot water over top; do not stir (I know that it sounds weird, but I promise that it will all work out!).
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is almost set (you do not want to over cook or it will not have the warm gooey pudding in the bottom).
- Remove cake from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes. When you scoop the cake into serving dishes, be sure to spoon the sauce from the bottom of the pan over the cake. Top with ice cream and hot fudge if desired.
You can also garnish with fresh fruit like raspberries or strawberries, or chopped nuts are delicious on this too!