If you want your cheesecake to set up a little faster, you can place it in the freezer for a short time. Alternate sitting in the freezer and sitting in the refrigerator, so that it will cool evenly. If left in the freezer only, the edges will freeze before the center is cool.
This recipe is a lot of work for an old grandpa. It takes a bit of time, also, probably closer to an hour prep before it went into the oven.
My Notes: Cook the apples first and get them cooling in the fridge, then preheat oven, then prepare the cream cheese and crescent roll base.
Now gotta wait to taste and make final determination if worth the effort. 😶
Nope, this is a disappointment for me. Too much work for not much flavor.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 8 -10
For the Crescent Rolls
- 2 Cans 8 ounce each Crescent Rolls
- 1 Tablespoon Butter melted
- 1/4 Cup Cinnamon Sugar
For the Apples
- 2 Large Gala or Honey Crisp Apples peeled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Pinch Nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon Flour
For the Cream Cheese
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese Softened (low fat works too)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- Zest of 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Large Egg whisked slightly
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×11 or 9×13″ glass baking dish, metal burns the crescent rolls.
- Lay one can of crescent rolls over the bottom of the dish, pressing to seal the dotted lines.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the bottom and top with apples.
- Lay out the remaining can of dough and press to seal the cracks.
- Brush the dough with the melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes and remove from the oven to cool.
- Once warm, place in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours or up to one day.
For the apples
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the butter and apples, tossing to coat.
- Turn the heat to medium low and place a lid over the skillet.
- Stir the apples occasionally until all of the liquid has disappeared and the apples are tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour.
- Dump into a bowl to cool.
For the cream cheese
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and egg and beat until fluffy.