This recipe makes 2 chocolate babkas and they are perfect for gifting; so beautiful and such a treat!
This Chocolate babka is like a giant fluffy and chocolaty cinnamon roll. It’s laced with chocolate ganache and glazed with that same ganache which melts into the grooves and makes these completely irresistible (as I much on a slice with my morning coffee).
Calories: 397 kcal
Servings: 12 Makes 2 babka loaves
Ingredients for Chocolate Babka:
- 3/4 cup warm milk (NOT hot) 6 oz
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast 1 packet or 1/4 oz or 7 grams
- 4 Tbsp granulated sugar, divided 50 grams
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 450 grams (+ 1 to 2 Tbsp)
- 2 large eggs room temp
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted divided (3 Tbsp for batter, 1 Tbsp to brush tops)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Coconut oil to brush over babkas optional
Ingredients for Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream 8 oz
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar 25 grams
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips** 1/2 lb or about 1 1/3 cup
What you will Need:
- 2 bread loaf pans lined with parchment paper
US Customary – Metric
How to Make Chocolate Babka:
- In bowl of a stand mixer, add ¾ cup warm milk, sprinkle top evenly with 1 packet yeast and let sit 7 min. Whisk in ½ cup flour and 2 Tbsp sugar. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm oven (100˚F) for 25-30 min or at room temp 35-45 min. It will be puffy
- Whisk in 2 eggs, 3 Tbsp melted butter, remaining 2 Tbsp sugar, ½ tsp salt and 1 tsp vanilla. Using dough hook on speed 2, add remaining 3 cups flour (1/2 cup at a time, letting it incorporate between additions). Dough should feel barely sticky to the touch but should not stick to sides of mixing bowl. Add an extra 1-2 Tbsp flour if needed. Once all flour is in, continue kneading on speed 2 for 8-10 min.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm oven for 1 hr or at room temp 2 hrs. Dough should double in size. Meanwhile, make chocolate ganache (instructions below).
- Once dough has risen, divide it in half. Generously dust flour on a clean work surface and place 1 piece of dough in the center. Sprinkle dough with flour (just enough to keep rolling pin from sticking) and roll into a 12″ wide by 16″ long rectangle. Spread with 1/3 of the thickened ganache. Roll the dough up tightly starting with the shorter side.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 15 min. Cut each chilled roll in half lengthwise with a sharp knife, keeping the top 1/2″ of the roll connected. Twist halves together a few times.
- Butter and line 2 loaf pans with parchment paper. Carefully transfer dough to prepared pans. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm oven** for 30-45 min or at room temp for 1 to 1½ hours or until puffy. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Brush loaves with remaining 1 Tbsp melted butter and Bake at 350˚F on the center rack for 30 min or until browned. Brush hot loaves with coconut oil to give them a sheen or spread remaining chocolate ganache over the tops.
How to Make Chocolate Ganache:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 8 oz of heavy whipping cream with 1/4 cup sugar, stirring until dissolved and cream reaches a simmer then remove from heat.
- Add chocolate chips to a medium bowl and pour the hot cream over the top, wiggling the bowl around to ensure chocolate chips are covered. Cover the bowl and let sit 5 minutes. Remove cover and whisk starting from the center and moving outward until a smooth chocolate sauce has formed. Cool completely to room temperature or until sauce has thickened. To speed set, refrigerate ganache for 10 minutes at a time, whisking to check the consistency.