This is the first cake I’ve ever made. Followed the recipe exactly, turned out perfectly. Very easy to make, only hard bit is grating a parsnip! Fantastically moist cake, will make again. The cake was reasonable, but had to be baked for nearly an hour! The filling was too runny! Ruined the cake!
- 175g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 250g demerara sugar
- 100ml maple syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 250g parsnips, peeled and grated
- 1 medium eating apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 50g pecans, roughly chopped
- zest and juice 1 small orange
- icing sugar, to serve
For the filling
- 250g tub mascarpone
- 3-4 tbsp maple syrup
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease 2 x 20cm sandwich tins and line the bases with baking parchment. Melt butter, sugar and maple syrup in a pan over gentle heat, then cool slightly. Whisk the eggs into this mixture, then stir in the flour, baking powder and mixed spice, followed by the grated parsnip, apple, chopped pecans, orange zest and juice. Divide between the tins, then bake for 25-30 mins until the tops spring back when pressed lightly.
- Cool the cakes slightly in the tins before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely. Just before serving, mix together the mascarpone and maple syrup. Spread over one cake and sandwich with the other. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.