I made this with a few tweaks, but it was AMAZING. I can’t believe I’ve never thought to make these before. Sweet, soft, moist, and sturdy; the perfect pineapple upside down experience.
1/2 cup buttermilk –> 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice, 1/4 cup buttermilk
6 tbsp melted butter–> 6 tbsp softened butter, smeared around the bottom and sides of each cup
3/4 cup brown sugar–> 1/4 tsp white sugar under the 1 tbsp brown sugar. Packed along the bottom and up sides of the tin.
How To Make It
Sweet and simple pineapple upside down-cupcakes made entirely from scratch (don’t worry, they’re easy!). With fluffy vanilla cupcake bases topped off with caramelized pineapple and maraschino cherries, these are a great new way to enjoy a classic recipe!
- 6 Tablespoons butter melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 20 oz +8 oz can pineapple chunks in pineapple juice or substitute fresh pineapple
- 12 Maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly spray a 12-count cupcake tin with baking spray.
- Evenly divide butter into the bottom of each cupcake well.
- Sprinkle each well with 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Rim the bottom of each pan by laying 4 pineapple chunks in a flower pattern over the butter and brown sugar.
- Press a Maraschino cherry into the center of each “flower”. Set aside.
- Prepare your cupcakes by beating together butter and sugar in a medium-sized bowl until creamy and well-combined.
- Add eggs, beating one at a time until combined.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternate adding flour and buttermilk, starting and ending with flour and mixing until just combined after each addition (I prefer to do this part by hand with a spatula to be sure not to over-mix).
- Evenly divide the cupcake batter into your prepared pan. The batter will be thick, so use a spoon to spread it evenly into each cupcake well. Fill each cupcake well all the way to the top.
- Bake on 350F for 22-25 minutes.
- Remove, allow to cool for 5 minutes, and then place a wire cooling rack over the cupcake tin, covering each cupcake.
- Carefully, using potholders as the tin will be very hot, keep the cooling rack pressed against the tin and invert. Lift the muffin tin, the cupcakes should release easily.
- Allow to cool before serving. These pineapple upside down cupcakes taste great served warm with vanilla ice cream!