Dandruff is noticeable to others and therefore, it is very embarrassing to have it. Of course, this is a common problem for everyone. Having dandruff is also all about to remove the white flakes for good. On the other hands, this can be a challenging task because there are many dandruff treatments available. Therefore, it is hard to find the best one for you. Some treatments are also permanent and contemporary. It means that if you want to remove dandruff, you should find the permanent solution that will keep flakes forever.
Depending on the cause of your dandruff, this can be done, but you may have to make a small change in your hair and skin care habits to keep dandruff away. Dandruff can be caused by hair product sensitivity, skin conditions, and not shampooing enough, but the most common cause is dry skin. Here are 12 treatments you can do or make at home that have been proven to get rid of dandruff:
1. Change Your Hair Product
You can even remove dandruff by changing the styling products you use. Otherwise, apply it less than you normally do. For example, you can use homemade coconut oil hairspray to moisturize your scalp and less flake.
Here is how to make homemade coconut oil hairspray:
- Prepare two tablespoons of coconut oil and melt. Pour into the empty and clean spray bottle.
- Add 1 cup of filtered water and three drops of lavender essential oil. This is good to make your hair smell clean
- Shake and spray at any time.
2. Coconut Oil
Since a dry scalp is the most common cause of dandruff, it’s no surprise that coconut oil is an effective treatment for dandruff. To eliminate your unwanted white flakes, you will need to repeat this treatment about once or twice per week. Your hair will receive a few other benefits from the coconut oil as well.
- Wash your hair, but do not apply any conditioner and dry your hair completely.
- Apply as much coconut oil as you need to cover your scalp.
- Try not to rub the oil on the rest of your hair, unless you want to use it as a hair treatment at the same time.
- Wash the oil out and style as usual.
Hair masks are not typically made of eggs, but this one will help to eliminate dandruff. The vitamin A found in egg yolks work with your hair to produce more sebum, which will help to prevent dandruff. Only attempt this treatment if you are not too sensitive to odors, as egg yolks can create a bad smell.
- Separate 1 or 2 egg yolks and whip
- Apply only to scalp area – try to avoid the rest of your hair
- Cover your head with a plastic bag, being careful not to let the egg drip out
- After 1 hour, shampoo the egg out of your hair
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is the popular natural treatment for many things. It is also great for hair conditioning.
- Mix one part ACV and one part water in a measuring cup
- Shampoo your hair and rinse
- Carefully pour the ACV/water mixture over your scalp and hair
- Massage it into your scalp
- Rinse and style as usual – after your hair is dry it will not smell like vinegar
Raw honey has been proven to have a host of benefits for the body and skin. It is full of vitamins and minerals and can help to keep sickness at bay. It is also a great home remedy for dandruff.
- Make a paste with 90% raw honey, 10% warm water
- Massage into scalp for 5 to 10 minutes, trying to avoid the rest of your hair
- Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water or wash as usual
- Repeat twice a week until dandruff is gone