30 Minutes Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup Instant Pot Recipe: If you prefer to make this Instant Pot chicken soup with cooked chicken that you already have on hand, this is an option as well. To do so, omit the bone-in chicken from the recipe, then stir the cooked, shredded chicken into the soup at the very end.
How Do You Pressure Cook Chicken Noodle Soup?
The Instant Pot makes this soup incredibly weeknight friendly, because every element of it from the veggies, to the chicken, to the noodles cooks in the Instant Pot from start to finish.
- Begin by sautéing the veggies. I like a mix of butter and olive oil, though you can use all of one or all of the other if you prefer.
- Add in the herbs, seasonings, and water.
- Place the chicken pieces on top.
- Close and cook. Once the Instant Pot comes to pressure, cook the chicken soup in the Instant Pot for 10 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Open, remove and shred the chicken, and stir in the uncooked noodles.
- Five minutes later, the noodles will be perfectly al dente, the chicken juicy, and your soup ready to serve!
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINS
cook time: 30 MINS
total time: 50 MINS
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, thighs, or a mix
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion — chopped
- 1 pound carrots — peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick diagonal slices
- 3 medium stalks celery — cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt — plus additional to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper — or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water — plus additional as needed
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat egg noodles — about 3 3/4 ounces
- Chopped fresh parsley
Carefully remove the skin from the chicken. If your chicken breasts are very large (more than 1 pound each), use a very sharp knife to carefully slice them in half crosswise through the bone. Set aside.
Turn your Instant Pot to the sauté setting. Add the olive oil and butter.
Once the butter is melted, add the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often, until the onion softens and becomes translucent.
Stir in the salt, pepper, and oregano. Place the thyme and bay leaf on top. Pour in the chicken broth and 3 cups water. Gently add the chicken pieces.
Close and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure (manual) for 10 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then immediately vent to release any remaining pressure. Carefully open the lid.
Remove the chicken and transfer it to a cutting board. Pick out the thyme stems and bay leaf and discard. Turn the Instant Pot to saute (you will need to press “cancel” first).
Add the noodles. Let cook, uncovered, until noodles are al dente, about 5 to 6 minutes.
While the noodles cook, shred the chicken and discard the bones. Once the noodles are done, turn off the Instant Pot. Stir in the parsley and shredded chicken. If you’d like a more brothy, thinner soup, stir in additional water until your desired consistency is reached. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Enjoy hot with an extra sprinkle of fresh parsley.